UK Occupational Therapy Jobs for South African OTs

UK Occupational Therapy Jobs for South African OTs

In the UK, there’s a high demand for occupational therapists, but a shortage of qualified staff here.  

In-light of this, the UK government has included occupational therapists on the Shortage Occupation List, meaning it’s now easier for overseas occupational therapists to apply for UK jobs. Read more about this growing demand, in our blog.

At Migrate, we currently have a range of occupational therapy jobs for South African occupational therapists - take a look.

Occupational therapists specialise in improving patients’ abilities to do everyday tasks if they’re experiencing any difficulty. Occupational therapists help patients who are physically disabled, recovering from an illness or operation, experiencing mental health problems, or who are getting older. Find out more about the role in our blog.

At Migrate, we’re receiving more and more occupational therapy job applications from South Africa. That’s why we’ve created this blog for South African occupational therapists who are currently considering relocating to the UK for a new and exciting role:

Why Work as an Occupational Therapist in the UK?

The main reason is that there are currently lots of opportunities for overseas occupational therapists in the UK. Many of the jobs are with the NHS, although there are a few roles that are with private healthcare providers, or independent occupational therapy practices.

Occupational therapists in the UK have very attractive earning potential – you could earn up to £79,000 per year as a consultant therapist, or even more as an independent practitioner.

If you do secure a job with the NHS, there’s the generous NHS Pension Scheme, as well as exclusive health service discounts, support with childcare costs, and flexible working opportunities.

How to Apply for a Job as an Occupational Therapist in the UK

To begin with, you’ll need a degree in occupational therapy, which must be recognised by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).

Once you’re fully qualified and have a minimum of 12 months’ experience under your belt, you’ll need to register with the HCPC and then secure a job offer – check out our UK-based occupational therapy jobs, here. You’ll also need to pass the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). More about the qualifications you’ll need, in our blog.

Join Migrate Today

Join Migrate

Visit the web version of the app and gain instant access to jobs, educational resources and a global community of professional health and social care workers.

Join Migrate
Loved by 3,000+ Health and Social Care Professionals
Migrate - The UK healthcare recruitment app