Can my family move to the UK with me?
We understand that leaving your family behind to pursue a career in the UK is a decision no one takes lightly. The good news is that you have the option of bringing your family to the UK with you. There are a couple of ways to go about this:
1. Dependents of Skilled Worker Visa
Once you receive your Skilled Worker Visa, you can make an application for your civil partner/spouse and children to join you as your ‘dependents’. If their application is successful, their visa will end on the same date as yours This can be extended as long as you still meet the requirements of the visa.
There are a few points to note:
- You must be able to prove your relationship and that you have lived together in your home country for at least last 2 years.
- Your civil partnership or marriage must be recognised by the UK
- You must be able to prove that your partner/children have a certain amount of money available to be able to support themselves. This currently stands at £1270 per application, plus £285 for the partner and £315 for a child.
It usually takes around 3 weeks for a decision to be made.
For more information on this type of application, you can visit here: Skilled Worker visa: Your partner and children - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
For the application form, you can visit here: GOV.UK - The best place to find government services and information (apply-to-visit-or-stay-in-the-uk.homeoffice.gov.uk)
2. Family Visa
If you would like your family to join you at a later date, you can wait until you are granted Indefinite Leave To Remain (after five years working in the UK) and bring your family to the UK on a Family Visa.
This visa costs £1523 when applying from outside the UK, plus a further £1523 for children.
It is important to note:
- Your partner will need to prove their knowledge of English by sitting a recognised and certified English Language exam.
- You will need to prove a combined yearly income in the UK of at least £18,600. This increases if children are applying to join also.
This visa will take about 12 weeks to process, by which point you should have heard a decision on the outcome.
For more information on the Family Visa, visit Family visas: apply, extend or switch - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).
If you’re a Healthcare professional interested in relocating to the UK for work, you can download our app and browse a variety of healthcare jobs.